My friend, Bill Wilson wrote the following excellent article.
There is no religion other than Christianity that causes such division around the world. Why is that?
1. Christianity is real.
2. It reaches to the depth of the soul.
3. There is no other religion that gives freedom of choice.
4. There is no other religion that does not require works to get into heaven. 5. There is no other religion that treats truth as an absolute.
6. There is no other religion that depends on the mercy of its god.
7. There is no other religion that gives total assurance of salvation by simply a step of true faith.
8. There is no other religion that requires only a genuine acceptance of Jesus Christ as personal savior as the sole means for attaining everlasting life.
9. Jesus is the stumbling stone.
I was listening to a secular radio program while driving into town the other day. The morning announcer was saying that Christians, such as himself, should not be afraid to say Merry Christmas and stand up for their beliefs. A caller identified himself as an evangelical Christian. He said that Christians should not be afraid to speak of the true meaning of Christmas, which to him was all about grace and love and mercy. In his three minutes on the air, this evangelical did not once mention Jesus Christ. The announcer reminded the caller that he missed the entire reason for Christmas-Jesus Christ coming to give salvation to all who receive Him.
Herein lies the rub with Christians. Many evangelical Christians have become uncomfortable saying the name Jesus Christ. I'm not sure how you can evangelize without mentioning Jesus because, sooner or later, it comes down to whether a person accepts Jesus as their personal savior. A missionary friend of mine said he once visited a church in San Francisco with a non believer. The service had lively worship, contemporary preaching and they baptized a young man in the name of all that is good and just and righteous. In a discussion afterwards, the non-believer found it strange that Jesus was never mentioned in the service.
In Matthew 10:32 thru 37, Jesus puts it on the line. He says, "Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven. But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven. Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. And a man's foes shall be they of his own household. He that loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; and he that loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me."
Therefore, be bold in Jesus.